As part of our mission to improve the quality and efficiency of the delivery of healthcare to the patients that our clients serve, we are embarking on a periodical to help educate our clients and customers. By educating those with supply chain responsibility, we believe they will end up better managing costs. Our mantra remains, “the more you know, the less you pay.”
I am stepping into a new role to help Curvo Labs which is the publisher of Curvo Spotlight. Curvo Labs purchased Mendenhall Associates, Inc. earlier this year, which is the publisher of Orthopedic Network News. My task is to bring this publication to the light of day and to utilize the extensive data that Curvo Labs has been able to collect from hospital supply chain organizations over the last several years.
Although the content of each newsletter will vary from issue to issue, we will try to address the following for each clinical area being addressed:
- PROBLEM: What is the problem the medical device/supply is supposed to treat? For example, cardiac rhythm management devices are used to treat cardiac arrhythmias. Hip implants are used to treat arthritis. Wound care devices are used to treat chronic wounds. A better definition of the problems the devices are supposed to treat will yield improved insight into alternative devices and new technologies.
- PROCEDURES: It helps to have a national perspective on how many procedures the devices are used in. If there is a large number of procedures, it is more likely that there are alternative products for treatment.
- PROVIDERS: We will attempt to find the top “providers” of these procedures. Large hospital programs are often indicators of quality.
- PAYMENTS: The payments by insurers are often eye-opening to both hospitals and physicians since the payments are often obscured by arcane rules. We will do what we can to provide some enlightenment to these disparities.
- PARTS and SUPPLIERS: In keeping with our tradition of identifying the sources of the technologies, we will highlight the products as well as the companies supplying the parts. With our access to the hospital supply chain data, we will be able to identify which parts are actually used.
- PRICES: The Curvo Research Networks’ data will be summarized periodically to provide market shares as well as average selling prices. This should provide useful reference points for negotiation with vendors.
- PERFORMANCE: Lastly, we are acutely aware of the need to identify devices with long track records and favorable outcomes. National registries have been sources of this information but are often known only to the device manufacturers.
We want to emphasize that we are a provider-focused organization, and our goal is to help our providers achieve greater efficiencies in the delivery of care. We know that device manufacturers are interested in these insights but our clients are hospitals.
Our agenda will be to focus our efforts on the spend categories organized at Curvo Labs. They will be reported in Curvo Spotlight or in Orthopedic Network News. If you have additional questions or suggestions, please do not hesitate to call or write.
For additional data and insights, including the top PPI Categories and Providers in Healthcare Supply Chain, download your free copy of Curvo Spotlight today!