15 04, 2021

Electrophysiology

2021-04-15T11:43:08-05:00April 15th, 2021|Procedure Basics|

Electrophysiology (EP) studies and ablations are a mainstay of hospital’s EP lab, and the source of much inpatient revenue. The purpose of an EP procedure is to “map” the electrical system of the heart and,

30 12, 2020

Surgical Energy

2021-01-22T16:58:04-05:00December 30th, 2020|Procedure Basics|

There are a number of different types of energy used in medicine including lasers, microwaves, radio-frequency (RF) current, ultrasound (US), magnetic resonance (MR). Some combine modalities such as RF current with plasma, argon gas, or

24 08, 2020

Hip Replacement

2021-01-17T14:29:58-05:00August 24th, 2020|Procedure Basics|

Femoral Stems Femoral Stems shown here are: Coated Hip Stem, Uncoated Hip Stem, or Revision/ Long Hip Stem Femoral Heads In 2019 over 70% of femoral heads were ceramic and the remaining 30% were cobalt-chrome

9 04, 2020

LAAC

2021-01-17T14:42:14-05:00April 9th, 2020|Procedure Basics|

The left atrial appendage (LAA) is a normal part of cardiac anatomy. In most people, this small projection off the left atrium causes no issues and is a part of proper cardiac function. It may

13 02, 2020

Endomechanical Devices

2021-01-17T14:37:48-05:00February 13th, 2020|Procedure Basics|

Endomechanical devices are those used to assist during laparoscopic surgeries in the abdomen. These are surgeries on the torso and exclude anything dealing with the heart, large vessels in the abdomen, or orthopedics. Generally, they

13 02, 2020

Orthopedic Screws

2020-02-13T19:44:02-05:00February 13th, 2020|Procedure Basics|

There are more products in use in surgery with the word “screw” attached to them than any other term. In orthopedics alone, there are about 250,000 parts in the Orthopedic Network News/Curvo database out of

13 02, 2020

Spinal Fusions

2021-01-17T14:39:22-05:00February 13th, 2020|Procedure Basics|

According to Curvo’s 2018 national data, devices used for spinal fusion account for over 80% of hospitals’ spinal device costs, far surpassing that for neurostimulators, artificial discs, vertebral compression repair, and spinal process devices. Cost

13 02, 2020

Knee Replacements

2021-01-17T14:40:14-05:00February 13th, 2020|Procedure Basics|

Knee replacements are performed more often than hip replacements in the US. There are several types of common knee replacements including bicondylar knee, unicondylar knee, and patellofemoral knee replacements. FEMORAL COMPONENT Generally made of cobalt-chrome

13 02, 2020

Hip Fractures

2021-01-17T14:43:46-05:00February 13th, 2020|Procedure Basics|

Hip fractures is the most common fracture hospitalized and are most frequently seen in the elderly. According to Orthopedic Network News, approximately 90% of hip fractures are treated with some sort of implant. The optimum

Go to Top